Saturday, November 5, 2011

CrazyEngineers Forum - Mechanical & Civil Engineering

CrazyEngineers Forum - Mechanical & Civil Engineering


Combining a turbocharger and a supercharger together as a single unit, feasible?

Posted: 05 Nov 2011 05:05 AM PDT

Hey CEians,
I need some help here as I'm still a student exploring the mighty worlds of engineering, so please feel free to suggest/comment/criticize. I have had a plan in mind of fabricating something which combines both the turbocharger and the supercharger together as a single unit to allow better mounting and save some space as I am aware that people are already incorporating both chargers in the engine bay, but requiring 2 intercoolers and a messy setup of tubes running all over the engine.

So the basic idea which struck me is maybe combining rotational motions from the crank and from the exhaust fumes into a single root type charger design. As I really have limited resources and knowledge, I'm not entirely sure if it will work, so a little help is appreciated. I plan to combine both rotational motions using miniature clutch-like structures. So, will this idea be feasible?

Feedbacks are greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment