Wednesday, October 19, 2011

CrazyEngineers Forum - Mechanical & Civil Engineering

CrazyEngineers Forum - Mechanical & Civil Engineering


Mechanical Morphing Helicopter Airframe/ Rotor Disc Control

Posted: 19 Oct 2011 08:23 AM PDT

Independent inventor; mechanically inclined; worked on cars and obsessed with mechanical problem solving. Had an idea 15 years ago, but it was put on the back burner due to life. I have a little back ground in precession machining. During my first deployment to Iraq, started reading books on aerodynamics brought the idea off the "burner". Spent the last 6 to 7 years tweaking this design
. It is a mechanical morphing airframe or in-flight reconfiguring airframe with a "human interface" concept to assist in mechanical control. The HIR airframe uses "human interface" along with an offset axis gimbal joint to "morph" the airframe thereby tilting the rotor disc for directional control. This slightly manipulates the center of gravity. Charles Seibel was first to design a helicopter with human interface control. The GEN H4 uses a gimbal, yet it is a fixed pitch coaxial design. You can track it progress at: http://envisionrotorsystems.blogspot.com/
Or at You Tube: "davh72able"
I am receptive to all comments. As always when I finish the small scale RC prototype, if it crashes I will still post the video. It’s already crashed once...weight distor was off a bit and the airframe developed a torsion flex. You can read the comments of pilots and aero-engineers if you go to most helicopter forums and search for "Morphing airframe" or "In-flight reconfiguring airframe" or my user name "davh12". Good to read in all of your topics. It is very interesting. I am not a certified engineer, just an "uncertified basement engineer". I do not let that title hinder what I do....in fact I think garage and basement tinkerers have an environment better suited not just think outside the box, but apply themselves in the same manner as well. An inventor must be willing to ask themselves "where does practical application end and novelty begin? Then answer that question honestly. How will your idea affect the market? Will the change be positive and how will it benefit everyone? I presented my design to DARPA and now Bell Helicopter is taking a look...no promises though. DARPA process and results are posted on my site.

Regards,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment